Has your doctor told you?
- Your Blood work is normal, there is nothing wrong with you.
- You’re just tired.
- You’re just anxious or stressed.
- You need some medications to help you relax.
- You need to eat better.
- You need to exercise more.
- It’s all in your head.
Have you heard all or some of these comments and yet you still feel tired, achy, cold, depressed and mentally sluggish. I can’t tell you how many people have been told…”go home, get some rest, your blood work looks normal, you are probably just over worked.” Or even worse, you are put on thyroid hormone replacement and you still have all the symptoms of hypothyroidism but your lab tests show that your thyroid levels are good. And worst of all it’s difficult to get anyone to listen to you. So now what do you do? DID YOU KNOW? Studies indicate that well over 50% (close to 80%) of all the people with hypothyroidism don’t actually have Primary Hypothyroidism (the condition they are being treated for) but a condition called HASHIMOTO’S. This is an autoimmune condition (your immune system attacks and wants to destroy your thyroid gland). The Medical treatment for Hashimoto’s (if it’s even acknowledged) is simply to ignore the underlying immune problem, put you on thyroid hormone, and try to manage your TSH level. In my opinion, this is a short sighted treatment approach. Too many people still have ongoing symptoms in spite of normal TSH levels. Why? Because the underlying immune problem is not being addressed. There is no method in the medicine today that addresses Hashimoto’s other than hormone replacement. We have many options for balancing and soothing a frazzled immune system. Getting to the core problem and giving you options to manage your thyroid problem gives you….a better life! Here are some common hypothyroid symptoms:
- Feeling tired
- Foggy thinking
- Being cold all the time – hand, feet…all over
- Can’t lose weight even with diet and exercise
- Require excessive amounts of sleep and still don’t feel refreshed
- Low body temperature
- Gain weight easily
- Loss of interest in sex
- Hair loss
- Difficult, infrequent bowel movements
- Depression, lack of motivation
- Morning headaches that wear off as the day progresses
- Loss of outer third of eyebrows
- Thinning hair on scalp, face or genitals
- Dry skin and/or scalp
Hyperthyroid Symptoms may include:
- Nervousness and emotional
- Racing thoughts
- Night sweats
Why not treat everything to get the best possible results? Treat the immune system if need be, treat the thyroid, treat the nervous system–basically help all of you get better at once. That is what we do. Don’t continue feeling frustrated. We will listen to your concerns and chart a course to get you back on track. Comprehensive blood work and functional analysis will help us determine the shortest path to getting you better.
- A thorough case history where Dr. Balcavage will listen…really listen to your concerns, goals and dreams for a better future. It’s important that he understands who you are and what you hope to gain from this program.
- A fresh look at all of your most recent lab work using a functional method of analysis. This process helps determine the type of further testing that would best suit you. Most people need to have the gaps in testing filled in before Dr. Balcavage can recommend a proper course of action.
- A functional neurological evaluation, if needed. Many long term thyroid sufferers experience cognitive issues, weakness and other physical changes. It is important that we understand your state-of-health at the onset of care. This provides us with a good benchmark to measure progress.
- Dr. Balcavage’s special analysis and expertise in putting together all of the pieces of the puzzle for you. Isn’t it time that we unravel the mystery behind why you are feeling so poorly?
- A written recommendation for care
OUT-OF-STATE? (or traveling a long distance?) Not a problem. We can easily manage your case by phone and email. Test requisitions, kits, follow-up questionnaires and supplements can all be conveniently mailed directly to your home. We have even video conferenced using Skype. We encourage you to bring your spouse or loved one/care taker to your Discovery Visits. We cover many important points that two people can remember better. At times a close family member will offer additional information that can clarify some of Dr. Balcavage’s questions.
Here’s an interesting read: Click Carbohydrate Density to read how dense carbohydrate foods can trigger autoimmune thyroid flares.
I was diagnosed with Hashimoto’s. No doctor in my area was willing to treat me and did not want to listen to how I was feeling or even look into what was causing my problems. They wanted to do surgery and remove my thyroid. After reading everything I could get my hands on about Hashimoto’s and understanding the auto immune condition better, I started searching for a doctor that understood the condition. Dr. Balcavage name came up consistently. I found his videos online and watched them. Everything that was on the videos sounded like what I was going through. I called and set up a consultation visit. On my first visit, I was nervous, not knowing what to expect. Thinking to myself is this going to be like every other doctor I have seen. The entire office made me feel comfortable (Amy & Joe) as soon as I walked through the door. Dr. Balcavage allowed me to tell him what I was feeling, what my outlook was on everything. Just having a doctor listen to me and understanding what I was going through made me feel better. I wasn’t rushed in and out of his office. He took the time to try and understand everything. After the consultation, I was given a care plan to look over along with some lab work he recommended for me. I had the labs done and set up my next appointment. The labs revealed that there were other issues that needed to be addressed, that I had no clue about. After following his care plan for about a year, I can say I feel great again. I am able to function and not feel like I need to take a nap an hour after getting out of bed. I have my life back! I would and have recommended Dr. Balcavage to everyone. We need to have more doctors like Dr. Balcavage. I drove over 5 hours one way each trip and it was worth it. Thanks Again— Dr. B!!